Fuel Bills Over Winter

As the colder months approach some people may be concerned about how they are going to pay their fuel bills. Support is available to those who are in need of financial aid or advice regarding their fuel bills.

In the first instance if you think are not going to be able to afford your bills, the first point of contact should be with your energy supplier to see what support they might be able to offer with payment plans, Warm Homes Discount, addition to the Priority Services Register and help with grants for energy efficiency measures.

Some Food Banks are also able to assist in extreme circumstances for those who have been referred by an agency. They may be able assist with electric and gas payments, oil deliveries and may be able to provide other fuels such as Calor Gas, wood and coal.

These resources are limited and conditions apply to ensure that as many people in need as possible are able to access this support.

Norfolk County Council offer the Norfolk Assistance Scheme (NAS) to help people who are unable to meet their immediate needs or need practical support to set up home.

There are other advice services and grants which might be available to you. Citizen’s Advice Bureau provide guidance on payment plans and signpost where other financial support might be available.

Please seek help if you are struggling, if you are a housing association tenant you should contact your landlord to see if there is support they might be able to offer.

Always inform the DWP and NNDC Benefits team of any changes of circumstances as soon as possible. This will help shorten processing time and awards.

Visit the North Norfolk District Council Benefits page

Visit the North Norfolk District Council Help Hub

Boundary Changes 2023

The article in the Hickling Herald about boundary changes was submitted two weeks prior to publication, at the time of writing the interactive map on the Boundary Commission website (https://www.bcereviews.org.uk/) clearly showed that along with the constituency boundary change for Hickling, the boundary would also change for local government.

Following various correspondence we have had confirmation from Paul Wells, the senior parliamentary assistant for Brandon Lewis MP, that this proposal is solely regarding parliamentary constituencies and so will have no impact on the current local government arrangements. The interactive map on the Boundary Commission website has also been updated to reflect this.

May 17th – Whats changed?

You should continue to work from home if you can. When travelling within the UK, you should aim to do so safely and plan your journey in advance.

You should get a test and follow the stay at home guidance if you have COVID-19 symptoms.

  • Gathering limits have been eased. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 30 people and indoor gatherings are limited to 6 people or 2 households (each household can include a support bubble, if eligible).
  • New guidance on meeting friends and family emphasises personal responsibility rather than government rules. Instead of instructing you to stay 2m apart from anyone you don’t live with, you are encouraged to exercise caution and consider the guidance on risks associated with COVID-19 and actions you can take to help keep you and your loved ones safe. Remember that the risks of close contact may be greater for some people than others and in some settings and circumstances, there will be specific guidance that you will need to follow even when you are with friends and family.
  • Indoor entertainment and attractions such as cinemas, theatres, concert halls, bowling alleys, casinos, amusement arcades, museums and children’s indoor play areas are permitted to open with COVID-secure measures in place.
  • People can attend indoor and outdoor events, including live performances, sporting events and business events. Attendance at these events is capped according to venue type, and attendees should follow the COVID-secure measures set out by those venues.
  • Indoor hospitality venues such as restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes can reopen.
  • Organised indoor sport can take place for all. This includes gym classes. It must be organised by a business, charity or public body and the organiser must take reasonable measures to reduce the risk of transmission.
  • All holiday accommodation can open, including hotels and B&Bs. This can be used by groups of up to 6 or 2 households (each household can include a support bubble, if eligible).
  • Funeral attendance is no longer be limited to 30 people, but will be determined by how many people the COVID-secure venue can safely accommodate with social distancing. Limits at weddings, wakes and other commemorative events have been increased to 30 people. Other significant life events, such as bar/bat mitzvahs and christenings, will also be able to take place with 30 people.
  • The rules for care home residents visiting out and receiving visitors have changed, allowing up to five named visitors (two at any one time), provided visitors test negative for COVID-19.
  • All higher education students are able to access in-person teaching.
  • Support groups and parent and child group gathering limits have been increased to 30 people (not including under 5s)
  • There is no longer a legal restriction or permitted reason required to travel internationally. A traffic light system for international travel has been introduced, and you must follow the rules when returning to England depending on whether you return from a red, amber or green list country.

You can read the full changes on what you can and cannot do by visiting the government page at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do